French Inspired Entry Table Tutorial

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Hello all! hope everyone has been well. I am always writing about food recipes so i decided to do something different an write a furniture tutorial. So i had come across this cute french provincial table that i had to have. You can tell this table was cute at one time, but she was pretty beat up her color had faded from cream to an ugly shade of yellow, and the gold on the accents look to dated. I wanted to stay indicative to the french inspired look by keeping the colors very feminine and romantic. Like in the times of Marie Antoinette and add a bit of a modern baroque feel with the "tattoo" i put on top. I think that Marie would agree this is definitely sweeter than any cake.---Cake. That sounds like a great idea for my next recipe :)

So this is the only angle i took of the table before, and I forgot to takes pics during the process, you can tell it was cute at one time but the colors now were---hideous. So for this look i wanted to do a nice layered look. I am a huge fan of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint.(You can mix your own by adding warm water and Plaster of Paris...But i just buy Annie. So for this project I used "Old White" and "Emile" along with dark and clear wax. I first put one layer of "Old White" on and covered the entire piece...I guess you can say i primed with it. Then i let that completely dry, and added two coats of "Emile". I completely covered the top but everywhere else i let the old white peek thru. For the accents, I felt like before they were all just one color ad it was really hard to see the details, so I took the white and a sponge-brush and applied two coats over all the accents making sure the coats were dry in between applications. Then i decied that i wanted a contrast so I grabbed my "Graphite" and I got a adhesive stencil and did a repeat pattern so it looks like its growing back and out.
Once everything was dried it was time to start distressing and waxing so I grabbed my clear wax and I waxed the entire piece in clear. Then It was time to start mixing up my dark wax so In a clean bowl I put 2Tbsp of dark wax, 1Tbsp clear wax, and 1 Tbsp of "Graphite" chalk paint, Mix very well. To distress the furniture i used a double sided sponge with the scouring pad side and water. It's way better than sanding and i only took off to white layer. Using a small wax brush i applied my dark wax on the white accents only, using a jabbing motion to really push the wax in the nooks, then let it set 20 seconds then wipe off with a clean lint free rag. To really highlight the accents and to remove the excess wax i simply put mineral spirits on a clean rag and wipe. Buff entire piece and your done!

share this on »
{Facebook}
{Twitter}
{Pinterest}
Add a comment »

Leave a Reply